Program Leader Professional Development
Program Leader Professional Development Heading link
Program leaders of study abroad programs have many responsibilities that go beyond the traditional scope of an instructor in a classroom. The UIC Study Abroad Office is committed to helping prepare program leaders to be successful in their roles. Throughout the academic year, we will host professional development workshops covering a wide range of topics related to effective study abroad program oversight. We hope to see you at a future event!
Required Program Leader Workshops
All program leaders are required to attend an orientation and an emergency preparedness and response seminar. The Program Leader Orientation will provide an overview of the program planning timeline, key policies and procedures, some health & safety information, and tips for recruitment.
The Emergency Preparedness and Response Seminar will help program leaders understand what to do in the event of an emergency on a study abroad program, cover recommendations for incident-specific responses, provide tips for limiting liability, and highlight other risk management considerations.
Program Leader Orientation
We are hosting the orientation on two different dates. Both sessions will be offered in-person (conditions permitting) and via zoom. Please choose the session that best works with your schedule.
- Friday, September 30th, 2022 – Noon to 1:30 PM
Study Abroad Office and Zoom
RSVP Here for the Program Leader Orientation
Emergency Preparedness and Response Seminar
We are hosting two sessions of the Emergency Preparedness and Response Seminar; one in advance of spring break programs and another in advance of summer programs.
- Friday, March 3rd, 2022 – Noon to 1:30 PM (program leaders of spring break programs should attend this session)
TBD on East Campus and Zoom
- Friday, April 14th 2022 – Noon to 1:30 PM
TBD on East Campus and Zoom
- Tips for Marketing and Recruiting for Faculty-Directed Programs
Wednesday, October 26th – Noon to 1:30 PM
Study Abroad Office – UH 502 (session will be recorded)
- Study Abroad & Mental Health
TBD – Early Spring 2023
Additional Professional Development Opportunities
We’re excited to share two professional development opportunities being launched by the Forum on Education Abroad for faculty members who lead study abroad programs! The Forum is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, membership association recognized by the U.S. Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission as the Standards Development Organization (SDO) for the field of education abroad. UIC is a member institution.
Global Learning Across the Disciplines Kick-Off Webinar
The Forum is launching a new (free!) webinar series that will look at instructional design approaches, curricular frameworks, activities, and assessment strategies that educators are using to enhance global learning outcomes in local and global contexts. This series is designed to:
- Showcase the work of educators working to integrate global learning outcomes into their respective programs of study
- Illustrate how educators can breakdown silos in their courses and programs between experiential learning and disciplinary learning
- Provide opportunities for faculty and other educators to network and build community
The kick-off webinar will be held on Tuesday, October 4th at 9:00 AM central. The session, titled Mapping Global Learning: Exploring the process of applying global learning in the curriculum and co-curriculum, is an interactive session facilitated by Hilary Landorf and Sherrie Beeson of Florida International University.
Marlee Stein, Associate Director of the UIC Study Abroad Office, will be hosting a group viewing of the session in the SAO if you’d like to join her and other program leaders and engage in some discussion. If so, please RSVP below by October 3rd. If you prefer to view it on your own, you may register for the session at the link above.
RSVP to Attend the Group Viewing
The Global Learning Launchpad (GLL): A learning community for short-term faculty-led programs directors
The Global Learning Launchpad (GLL) brings together faculty program leaders in a learning community setting to enhance the quality of teaching and learning in a new or existing short-term study abroad program. In addition, the GLL offers faculty an opportunity to develop relationships across institutions and to nurture their mutual growth as individuals, educators, and scholarly practitioners.
Things to know:
• 2 cohorts available: one virtual and one hybrid, each with a maximum of 15 participants
• Cohorts meet monthly between January and May, 2023
• Application window: October 1 – November 14, 2022
• Discount rates are available to individuals from institutions that are Forum members (UIC is a Forum member!)
• Scholarships are available from the Forum